Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Cover Letter Update

Hey everyone! I've taken all the comments into consideration and I've tried to substantially turn on the charm with this edition of my cover letter! Thanks for reading and for the really helpful feedback, I hope to keep hearing more from everyone! For this post/update, I will just start from the salutation, because the address blocks are the same.



Dear Sir/Madam,

ICAP Internship Programme

I am enclosing my resume in response to your advertisement for the above internship programme which appeared on National University of Singapore’s eJobCentre website on 7th September 2012.

I am currently an undergraduate in the National University of Singapore, studying for a Bachelor of Science, majoring in quantitative finance, and expecting to graduate in 2015 with first-class honours. My multi-disciplinary major equips me with a wide academic base in mathematics, statistics, finance, and computer programming. Besides my core courses, I have taken a diverse range of electives which honed my ability to communicate effectively in a professional environment. I am confident that I am well-equipped for work in the dynamic, ever-evolving finance sector.    

My experience in fast-paced work environments began before I enrolled into university, when I worked part-time as a real estate telemarketer and as a nightclub waiter. Persuasion and dealing with customer frustration became essential working tools that had to be sharpened everyday. It was sink or swim, whether in the bustling realtor office or in the crowded nightclub. The break-in period was short and I quickly learned that looking out for my colleagues paid dividends and helped to boost morale. When the going got tough, I simply put my nose to the grindstone and took it with a grin.

These character-building experiences in the service sector allowed me to pick up many soft skills that are useful and relevant for an internship at ICAP. These stints have developed my ability to multi-task in a fast-paced job environment, to work unsupervised, and to maintain a calm professionalism under immense pressure.

During my enrolment in university, I have been heavily involved in organizing and facilitating co-curricular activities. These include an overseas community service project and freshman orientation projects, where I demonstrated my communication skills and sense of teamwork.

I work effectively in multinational environments, I interact well with strangers and colleagues, and I am a perceptive, motivated team player. I have an objective-oriented work personality, and I have a strong, personal, desire to continuously explore, improve and learn. I am fascinated by finance and I have a particularly keen interest for the workings in your research division.

An internship with ICAP would be an amazing opportunity for me, and I hope to learn by observing and contributing to the company’s operations. I hope you will look favourably at my application and I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,




Han Kunyang

No comments:

Post a Comment