Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Reflection on Oral Presentation

EDIT: Last Tuesday, I gave a sales pitch to the class together with Sai, Shi Ying and Sumea. Through our presentation, we hoped to convince our classmates and our instructor about the severity of the problem we identified and the merits of our proposed solution.  It was a chance for us to give voice to our type-written proposal, which we had painstakingly prepared a week earlier, and to showcase what we learned from our respective peer-teaching sessions about a month ago.

My most immediate impression about my oral presentation was that I had a great time. I felt in control, and the immediate feedback from my classmates was very encouraging.

I was very confident content-wise. The entire team was intimately familiar with the content of the presentation before preparations for the presentation even began; after all, we crafted the entire proposal from scratch. Being the authors of the presented content definitely helped. It hastened our preparations, boosted our confidence and made the presentation that much smoother. Our experience from the ‘elevator pitch’ lesson and mock presentation session helped to boil our proposal down to its most essential and convincing elements, allowing us to have a clear and logical structure that we can easily organize our content around and effectively present. This brings me to our use of visual cues, because we understood that Prezi, however impressive, was just the medium for our message. If the original message was muddled, a tool by itself could not carry the presentation, and would only hinder, not help.
It was my first time using Prezi, and I was excited to explore the new tool. It took a lot of careful thought, but our parts were carefully structured so that the content was memorable, the flow was logical and the visual cues were clean and efficient. I felt proud and vindicated when my classmates responded positively to the group’s use of Prezi. With this experience, I am confident of using Prezi proficiently in future presentations.

Subsequently, I revisited Garr Reynolds’ website to more objectively and holistically self-assess my presentation against his list of presentation tips. Reading through the articles brought me back to Earth. I realized that my presentation still had ample room for improvement.
I should engage my audience further with a personal anecdote instead of plainly narrating all the benefits like a grocery list. While my original approach is tidy and logical, it lacks the panache, enthusiasm and charm that can infect an audience, that can turn a good presentation into an awesome one. I think this will come about more naturally if I let my enthusiasm for my topic run freely. This is something I still need to work on, as I am very used to projecting neutral emotions, and speaking in a monotonous and slow-paced fashion. I used to think that this was always the professional thing to do, but now I understand that different times call for different measures. A sales pitch is not a normal presentation, and should convey more raw urge.

I remember distinctly my instructor's comment during my mock presentation, that I would be a perfect fit for Singapore's corporate environment. I know he meant it as praise, but I take it as a backhanded compliment. I dislike the stifled corporate style in Singapore and I am trying my best to break that mold, to exude a unique personal charm that, I think, Singapore workers generally lack. I am trying to break off from my current style of presenting, but his comment shows me that I still have a long way to go before reaching my ultimate aim.


To conclude, I feel that while I did give a polished delivery, I fell short of my ultimate long-term goal and I still have lots of room for improvement. Nonetheless, I must thank my group mates, Sai, Shi Ying and Sumea for all the hard work, the long meetings and the sleepless nights. Also, many thanks to our classmates, who gave us so much useful peer feedback during the mock presentation and the elevator pitch. Thanks for reading!

EDIT: After replaying my presentation a few times, I just realized that I use "alright" and "right" very frequently, to conveniently link phrases and sentences. This is something I will have to work on.

16 comments:

  1. Hi Han,

    I was impressed by your presentation. Actually I was impressed by you since the mock interview. You look like a person who goes to work already, not a second year student. You look confident and mature. Your voice and intonation somehow make the audience attracted to your presentation.
    I really like your presentation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Thao, you're too kind, thank you for your very encouraging comments. I must look quite old haha! I was as impressed by your presentation too! I don't remember crossing paths with you during mock interview, however... were you stalking me?! Just kidding =)

      Delete
  2. Hey Han,

    I have always admired your presentation skills as you are able to convey the message across to the audience in a logical and clear manner.Moreover,I could see the stark improvement in delivery style when compared to the mock oral presentation as you managed to increase your pace of delivery in order to keep up with the other presenters.In addition to this, I felt that you managed to convince the stakeholders regarding the relevance of the project to a great extent.Thus, I personally feel that you have great potential in the future in the line of public speaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hey Sai, thank you for your kind comments. I'm really glad to have worked with you on this project, I think we spurred each other on to greatness! I did make a conscious effort to speed up, and I felt very appreciated when people noticed, thanks for listening so attentively. It was a team effort and we all did a great job in our respective roles to present a convincing case as a whole!

      Delete
  3. Hey Han,

    I already commented on your presentation in the feedback round, but I want to use this opportunity to give you more feedback. After reading your blog post, I must disagree: I think you are an amazingly engaging speaker. I can't really capture what it is but I think the special thing about your delivery is that it is a mixture of "witty" and somewhat "professionally dry". I think that's your personal style and you should stick to it. You are very convincing BECAUSE you stick to facts and because your thoughts are so well structured.
    You definitely left an impression on me since I actually still remember your overview slide and what you said about it.
    As I already said in the feedback round in class: Your slides were fabulous and you should definitely approach presentations like that in the future.
    Good luck for future presentations!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Laura, thank you for the encouragement. Very flattered to hear from you, you're very much an engaging speaker yourself. The majority of the Prezi slides would be Sumea's efforts with some input from me, so I still have a lot to learn on that front. Good luck for your future presentations too!

      Delete
  4. Hi Han,

    I have the same opinion as the rest of our classmates. You are really a good speaker. You managed to catch my attention throughout your whole speech and I was absolutely convinced by your points. There were appropriate non-verbal cues and you were able to articulate your points very clearly. In your post, you mentioned that you are speaking in a monotonous and slow-paced fashion, I agree with that but I do not think that it is a huge problem for this oral presentation since it was supposed to be a formal presentation. However, maybe an insertion of personal anecdote, like what you have mentioned, will most probably further enhance your presentation. However, if I was to nitpick on your presentation, I thought that maybe you looked a little too serious at times and there was insufficient eye contact. Nevertheless, it was still a very impressive presentation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestions, Yea Wen. You bring up a good point that my style is more effective in formal environments, and I definitely need to tone down the seriousness sometimes. Thank you for your astute observations and for taking the time to comment!

      Delete
  5. Hi Han,

    It is great to read that you had a great time and sense of control during presentation. It was hardly the experience that I had on presentation or any form of public speaking where fear and nervousness often overcame once confidence. I really need to learn to be more confident like you.

    One noticeable point in your group’s presentation was of course the use of Prezi. Although I believe that PowerPoint is sufficient tool for most presentation, your groups’ use of Prezi was really refreshing. Your presentation appears simple in appearance but loud in meaning or as Garr Reynolds may have put it – Zen like. The simplicity of your Prezi visual aid also shifted the attention of the audience away from the visual aids and focus on you guys as the presenter. Thus, I believe that your group has appropriately used visual cues to enhance your presentation.

    I have to confess now that after our interview with Laura, I did share the sentiment that you were a serious ”corporate” person who were able to be very tough on people and your presentation would be serious and to the point. It is great that you have worked on to shape our unique charm and present yourself as unique individual. I wish you success in your endeavor.

    Regards,

    Eric Linardy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Eric, thank you for your kind comments and your well-wishes. The group definitely adapted a lot from Garr Reynold's tips, the website is a very useful resource. I must give more credit to Sumea for suggesting and helping us out with the Prezi slides, as she had prior experience with the tool. BTW, I was putting on an act during Laura's interview! Haha, that is definitely not the real me and I hope none of us meet an interviewer like that, what a fierce character!

      Delete
  6. Hi Bro,

    Not just you who had a great time during the presentation, the audiences had a great time listening to your sales pitch as well! From your group's use of Prezi, it is awesome. Personally, I did not try Prezi before. But from your group's presentation, I think it is worth trying it the next time round. All along, I knew you are an engaging speaker. From knowing you at SOW camp, to asking you questions with regards to academic doubts, you were always able to present your explanations/thoughts structured in way which enables the audience to understand it clearly. Definitely, at ES2007S, I have again seen the awesome Han Kunyang's power of speech again! During your OP, you shown your 100% level of confidence, for you already knew your content better than anyone do! Like what everyone has mentioned above, your delivery of content had drawn us into your presentation, and it is really successful on your part.

    Perhaps you should consider going to join the political parties in future, because you can really talk like PM Lee! hahaha :)

    Cheers,
    Yong Sheng


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey bro, thanks for your encouraging comments ('thanks for see me so ups'). I don't know what 'power of speech' you are talking about, don't scare me! I'm just very careful with my words sometimes. Very situational habit, actually, especially during casual social settings. Thanks for your well-wishes.
      Will you vote for me in 2016? I hope I can talk like PM Lee Yong Sheng one day =)

      Delete
    2. I meant your impactful speeches!^^ I will definitely vote for you if you are joining! By the way, I meant PM Lee Hsien Loong!!

      Delete
    3. Just kidding haha, I have no interest running for public office, but thanks for the support!

      Delete
  7. Hey Han,

    I personally found your presentation style to be very soothing and structured. Your composed and assertive posture that you took made the presentation very convincing. As a matter of fact, you do project a professional image which I think is a strong non-verbal confirmation that you were confidence of yourself.

    You were saying that you "dislike the stifled corporate style" in Singapore and wanted to be create a personal charm? Perhaps having more smile in your presentation would break the ice and make you more approachable. From what I know you, you aren't those serious sort of person. So, just smile. =)

    ReplyDelete